Watch: Another fire incident reported from Jamia Nagar, Good Samaritans rescue stranded residents, fire doused
A day after the Jamia Nagar metro station fire in which more than 90 vehicles, including parked e-rickshaws, got gutted another fire incident was reported on Thursday morning at 9 from Batla House near Shahab Masjid, according to residents.
Two women with minor burn injuries were rushed to the hospital with local police also turning up on the spot, said residents.
A resident, an eyewitness to the incident, said the fire most probably started with short circuit at ground floor of the building with the whole building filled with smoke. Probe is on to ascertain the real cause of the fire and official version is awaited.
The fire brigade after being informed rushed to the spot but couldn’t get into the narrow street due to illegal vehicle parking on the roadside at Khalilluah Masjid, said one resident, adding that the fire fighters walked to the spot and helped in taking control of the situation.
The fire was doused by residents, Good Samaritans, with some even using personal fire extinguishers to douse the fire. More than the fire it was the smoke which scared people residing in the high-rise with some residents using ropes to rescue the stranded.
After firefighters reached the spot after leaving their vehicles outside, they used water from Shahab Masjid and controlled the situation, he said. Some four to five bikes were gutted in the fire, he said.
Atul Garg, Director, Delhi Fire Service, said a call about a fire in a house near Shah Masjid at Batla House was received at 8.48 am, following which seven fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
“The fire was in a five-storey building. It was triggered from meter boards and reached up to the third floor of the house. More than 20 people were rescued and the blaze was brought under control,” he said.
No loss of life was reported in the incident. Nine people had inhaled smoke and sustained minor injuries.
“They were taken to AIIMS trauma centre by CATS Ambulance where they were treated for their injuries,” the official said. Four bikes, two scooters, a cycle along with nine electric panel boxes were also burnt in the fire.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southeast) Esha Pandey said the fire started on the ground floor of the house that was being used for parking vehicles of the residents. “Crime team was called to the spot to unearth the cause of the fire,” she said, adding that in case some fault is found, legal action will be taken accordingly.