Watch: Jamia’s 101st Foundation Day celebration
Jamia Millia Islamia’s 101st Foundation Day Celebration began today with the release of a couple of books and the inauguration of an exhibition titled ‘Founding Fathers & Patrons of Jamia Millia Islamia’ by Vice Chancellor Professor Najma Akhtar and Syed Shahid Mahdi, former Jamia VC & Chief Guest of the function at Dr. Zakir Husain Library of the university.
Late Shafiq ur Rehman Qidwai’s son Janab Sadiq ur Rehman Kidwai was the Guest of Honour of the books launch and inaugural function which was attended by Registrar Dr Nazim Husain Al Jafri, Deans, teachers and other staff members of the university.
The programme was jointly organised by Dr. Zakir Library and Premchand Archives and Literary Centre of the university. Literature on and by founding fathers, rare photographs and other archival material are on display in the exhibition highlighting the role of all JMI patrons till now.
During her address, Akhtar congratulated all the authors for bringing out intellectual works inspite of the challenges faced during the pandemic. It speaks volumes of their keen interest, sincere efforts and dedication to continue their intellectual endeavours in spite of all odds.
University Librarian Dr Tariq Ashraf in his welcome address emphasised that JMI has continuously excelled during the last 3 years and achieved success after success despite facing difficult situations.
It has emerged as one of the top ranking global university and brand equity of the university has phenomenally increased, he said, adding that the library is trying its best to reach out to every user and provide best possible resources and services.
Dr. Sabiha Zaidi, Director, Premchand Archives and Literary Centre convened the book release programme. She highlighted the important role Premchand Archive is doing in preserving precious things related to Jamia and invited authors of these publications to deliberate on the importance of their works.
Dr Shahid Mahdi shared his views on the works of authors and stressed that these books are valuable contribution of the authors.
The session ended with a vote of thanks presented by Dr. Nazim Husain Al-Jafri, Registrar, JMI.
Details of the books released during the function:
- A book entitled तहरीक-ए आज़ादी और क़यामे-ए जामिया edited by Sarwarul Huda and Prof. Sabiha Zaidi published by Prem Chand Archives and literary Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia, has undertaken a significant work of compiling the letters and essays of Shafiq ur Rehman Qidwai, one of the alumnus of JMI who has an immense contribution in the building of Jamia.
- Book entitled मेरी दो दरसगाहें is authored by Ghulam Haider, again one of the old boys of Jamia. This book is an exemplary work on the history and development of Jamia Millia Islamia since its inception.
- Book entitled प्रेमचंद के शाहकार अफ़साने edited by Dr. Syed Mohammed Amir. This book delves into the various aspects of portrayal of women in Premchand’s works.
- The book entitled Sustainable Development Environmental issues and Self sustained Society edited by Prof Atiqur Rahman and others, Dept of Geography, JMI is a valuable work in view of the present environmental crisis.It offers new insights into the idea of Sustainable Development and significant environmental issues.
- Dr. Zakir Husain Library has brought a bibliography of books authored by Jamia Alumni entitled Bibilography of Jamia collection. This is again notable endeavour undertaken by Dr. Zakir Husain library for the benefit of the users.
Earlier, Faculty Fine arts has organised a virtual International Art Exhibition of the works by artists teachers. It comprises artworks from eight countries and the 27 central and state universities of India. The title of the show is ‘In Continuum: Chiselling the Mind’.
Works of 101 artists have been included in the exhibition as the university is celebrating 101st Foundation Day.
This exhibition represents possibilities as a new beginning, continuation with respect for the legacy, and the criticality, all the aspects related to the number 101 or One-oh-One. This exhibition comprises paintings, Graphic prints, sculpture, digital prints, drawings, photographs, video art and conceptual artworks.
Along with the virtual exhibition, works from New Delhi artists will be exhibited at MF Husain Art Gallery of the university and will be inaugurated by the Vice-Chancellor Prof Najma Akhtar Husain Art Gallery tomorrow at 9.30 am. At 11 am eminent Indian Artist Anjolie Ela Menon will also virtually interact with all the artists. A catalogue will also be released on this occasion.